Thursday, May 10, 2012

Henri Matisse Inspired

These two are some of my favorites that I have done so far in USC's fundamentals art courses. The object was to paint two pieces that were "copying" our favorite artist's style but only using black and white acrylic paint. My favorite artist is the fauvist Henri Matisse, mostly because of his wild color pallets and the ability to capture the spirit within the objects he is painting. The colors I was able to used posed a problem when trying to emulate Matisse because all he uses is color! So, I tried to make my black and white pieces feel like they were supposed to be originally in color. To make it feel, even though it is in black and white, that color was bursting from the canvas. I also tried to paint in a free and loose Matisse way that I found to be very fun and liberating.

No comments:

Post a Comment